Sunday 15 April 2007

Watching an SOA strategy take shape

Before I get on with the technical SOA stuff I promised, here is a diversion you might find interesting. I have come across a mid-sized company that packages and sells materials through supermarkets - Its a well known brand name with a turnover in the £60m range. Just the range that is going to have to deal with the issues I have discussed thus far in this blog.

They have already set up a strategy group to look at the feasibility of Service Oriented Architecture so I have the perfect opportunity to watch the process as it develops and write about it in this blog.

As soon as they give me the information, I will tell you about both the politics of the venture and the technical decisions they take with their reasoning. First decision will be how to start - Agility first i.e a quick kill by identifying a process or related set of processes or the purist, technology led approach through the creation of an ESB and an entirely new process built with all new services.

I can tell you the toolset they have chosen is IBM's Webspere and Weblogic. Watch this space!

No comments: